These past few days in English class we have been reflecting on five excerpts from Ralph Fletcher's book Marshfield Dreams: When I Was a Kid. This post is supposed to help us understand different techniques of writing. My personal favorite of all the techniques he used was using comparison. He would at one point of the story compare himself and a jellyfish then in another he would compare his his love for baseball to war. As you continue reading on this post I hope you will emote and connect to Ralph Fletcher himself.
In his vignette "First Pen," he states,"What words were hidden-unborn, unwritten-in all that unused ink?" (Fletcher,2005,p.44) Here he lets his readers experience a new kind of text. He leaves his readers wondering, about the pen, about the words.
In his vignette "Last Kiss," he states, "To my great surprise , he reached out and shook my hand." (Fletcher,2005,p.82) This specific line is a line that every reader looks for in a book. The sentence used foreshadowing, he gives a hint to the readers so they can predict what might happen next, in this case he tells that Ralph's dad just stop giving him kisses and started using handshakes like real men.
As shown in these examples Ralph Fletcher uses a creatively different type of text. This type of text leaves an emotion for the readers and that's the technique that he used in his writing and that's also why I loved the excerpts that we read.
3 comments:
wow! angel, you did a wonderful job! i like the way you discribed the sentences. do not take this personaly, but this blog is better than the last one. also, nice use of big vocabulary words! in all, good job!
Nice post, Angel! You clearly enjoyed Fletcher's pieces and were able to identify specific writing techniques that were embedded in his writing. Use these techniques in your own writing as you continue to develop your personal narratives this week. Again, great job!
Your post is... in a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 as highest, I score you with a 8. Your words are good, but I think you could have been a little less subjective and a little more objective. At any rate, you did a good job making the reflection on your reading assignment. I think the book is a good one too.
Post a Comment